Healing Choices for Prostate Cancer Treatment is the brainchild of psychologist and researcher Michael Diefenbach, PhD, of the Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York. His interests are aligned with mine and with many of you who have been diagnosed with prostate cancer. I’ve enjoyed corresponding with him and speaking with him on the phone and commend him to you.
Michael is currently heading up a study which can help you identify your treatment options and how they can affect your life. If you have been recently diagnosed with prostate cancer he has graciously offered to give you and others the opportunity to participate in his brief survey program, Healing Choices for Prostate Cancer. Given the confusion of various treatment options, joining his brief study may help you clear the way to decide on an option that’s right for you. Here’s what Dr. Diefenbach has to say:
Healing Choices for Prostate Cancer is a study dedicated to finding out the best way to help men like you get important information about prostate cancer; information that will help you make the treatment decision that's right for you.
If you have not yet decided on a treatment, I urge you to call this truly concerned researcher and take part in the study. It is non-partial and unbiased. No surgical practice or pharmaceutical company has anything to gain. In fact it is funded by the National Cancer Institute.
The only purpose of this study is to help you make decisions that are right for you and that reflect your values. To find out how useful the study was to you, he will arrange to call you twice during the next nine months to ask you a few questions.
To participate in the study, call toll-free: 1-866-258-7981; or visit his website to learn more about the study: www.prostatehealingchoices.com
Dr. Diefenbach’s recruitment team will ask you several questions to find out if you're eligible to participate in the study. You can join the Healing Choices study if you match all these criteria:
• You were recently diagnosed with Stage I, II or III prostate cancer
• Have not yet started your prostate cancer treatment (e.g., surgery, radiation therapy, active surveillance or watchful waiting).
• No history of previous cancer
• You are over 18 years old
• You are able to speak and understand English
• You live is USA or Canada
• You have access to a computer
If you are eligible and you agree to participate in the Healing Choices Study:
• you will be mailed a variety of important and helpful information on prostate cancer options -- ranging from printed materials to multimedia CD-ROMs.
• you will receive a follow-up phone call in 6 months
• you will receive a follow-up phone call in 9 months
The three phone calls will take an average of 20 minutes, total. All information is totally confidential and will not be shared outside the study team. Following the survey you will receive a very helpful list of phone numbers and websites, which along with this site can help you find answers to your questions about prostate cancer.